Friday, December 09, 2005

Andrew Indian Restaurant


Sorry, but my hand was shaking with hunger.

We capped a great day hanging out with friends with a meal at Andrew Indian Restaurant, Taichung's newest Indian food place. This eatery is definitely two thumbs up. The food was better than the Spice Shop I and the menu features many more dishes. The service was excellent, but I can't be the judge, since both the waiters are students of mine. However, the quality comes at a price, which is roughly $100 a main dish higher than the Spice Shop I (side dishes and naan are the same $ but the naans are bigger and better). We dropped $1700 for the four of us -- a similar outing to SS-I usually costs us $1200. All in all, I highly recommend the place. Your kids are sure to be mesmerized by the Indian movie music videos playing on the big LCD screen in the back.


My students: the food was good, so I've decided to let them pass this year.

Andrew Indian is located at 56 Chang Chun St., two blocks south of Sogo. Frog Mexican and Salsa Cubana are both nearby. For reservations: 2326-5391/2326-5411.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael - check your email! I might actually hop on a bus tomorrow and head down (no lessons to teach until Sunday evening).

Anonymous said...

ahh, indian food....

you have made me very very hungry...

Michael Turton said...

See you tomorrow at FENGYUAN. about 3:30.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Indian food in Taichung. Not very often seen. How authentic is it? Care to elaborate on what you had?

I wonder if the restaurant owners "localized" the taste to appeal more to the local Taiwanese.

M.C. said...

I lovvvveee Indian food. One of the big perks of moving to my new neighhborhood is that I am now within walking distance of my favorite Taipei-based Indian restaurant. =) I don't know or really care about authenticity, as long as they don't chintz me on my cheese and potatoes!

One restaurant owner has said that most Taiwanese find Indian food too "spicy" (not hot spicy, but spicy spicy). I don't know if that's an indication that the flavor has NOT been "localized", or that the taste has to be modified for the sake of staying in business... but I think all restaurants will customize to the extent that claims of 'authenticity' are secondary to taste.

Anyway. Given how I can count the number of Indian restaurants in Taipei on two hands, I'd love to check out what's available in other cities, if I ever get the chance. Thanks for posting this.

Anonymous said...

There are four or five Indian restaurants in this area of Taichung. The Spice Shop is nearly right opposite Sogo.

Michael Turton said...

Yes, the Spice Shop, the Kebab, and another place and Andrew are all within 3 blocks of each other. The other restaurants are all small, but Andrew is relatively large. Perhaps he meant to capture the overflow. I've had to wait for a seat at SS-I and not been very happy about it.

M

Michael Turton said...

Willy --

we had Chicken tikka masala, chicken curry, a house special black bean daal, palak paneer, naan, shrimp masala, and some kind of pudding for desert. Everything tasted excellent, and not localized. The palak paneer had large chunks of cheese -- I once sent a plate back at another restaurant here, asking where the cheese was, and the owner informed me that it had been blended into the spinach. I had palak paneer all over India, and the stuff at Andrew's seems right on target. The ordinary daal looked good. The chef's special daal was a little slice of heaven...

Hope this helps.

Michael