Sunday, December 24, 2006

Random photos for Another Christmas


Taiwan at Christmas: When someone asks you what you're doing for Christmas in Taiwan, there are only four possible answers:

..........(A) Working
..........(B) Working
..........(C) Working
..........(D) Nothing

How many of you even remember it was Christmas? If I didn't have kids I probably would forget it completely. Fortunately for the economies of several large nations, my children never fail to remind me. We had our Christmas yesterday and today, opened the presents, and then went back to work. Meanwhile I had a chance to get out and take some pictures....

With the short days, the afternoon sun angles are fantastic.





When I was a kid I was fascinated by sensitive plants. And now they grow like weeds in my backyard.

Christmas Dinner: the night market





















In the mornng we hit the local day market. As Chinese New Year approaches more trucks selling the kind of stuff people replace when they do massive cleaning appear....here is a truck selling only cutting boards.



I never get enough pictures of people...so here's a few random passers-by who were captured by my lens....




















Whatever your holiday, have a great one!


3 comments:

Prince Roy said...

so is it safe to say the DPP is "The Grinch That Stole Christmas"?

(that's a JOKE, people)

Anonymous said...

random notes:
As I was eating my steak and noodle Christmas dinner last night, I had the same thought about non-Christmas in Taiwan. I remember about 5-6 years ago it seemed like the locals got into it a little more, but now it seems they are just bored with it all and its just another work day. I think it was just a passing fad like the egg tarts.

I use to like to go to the Regent hotel here in Taipei for Christmas because they always had a nice tree and music, but I've kinda lost that Christmas spirit too.

One thing I find strange is that still to this day the cable TV company in Taipei hasn't figured out that Christmas (and Chinese NY) is a great/special day to play a good (new) movie on HBO.

The good thing is that at least in my local breakfast shop the Merry Christmas signs that are hanging all year have some meaning.

FWIW: Merry Christmas to you and your family Michael. The photos you posted for today are great.

Michael Turton said...

Thanks, marc. Hope your holidays are good too.