Enjoy some links for a rainy monday...
- Craig Ferguson takes some lovely pics in Taichung
- Oz finds some wisdom at an abandoned Coast Guard station.
- Wind power firm hires thugs to protect its site, says J Michael
- A 1964 document on being an analyst of the war theater in Taiwan
- Jenna lists her favorite coffee shops in Taipei
- Tea Masters, always sumptuous, on high mountain oolongs.
- Steve C reviews one of Cheryl's guidebooks to Taiwan's indigenous areas
- Drew is selling his excellent Salsa steel bike. Damn! It's too big for me.
- For comic relief only: KMT knickers in knots over Lee Teng-hui's latest book.
- Asia's era of cheap migratory labor may be coming to an end: Philip Bowring with another interesting piece.
- Line, the popular chat application, is shooting for 20 million users in Taiwan by end of 2013. If only my HTC cellphone didn't have a crapload of apps I don't want but can't uninstall, I could probably install Line.
- [cynical laugh] Legislature to start to tackle capital gains tax this week.
- Phils Pres. Aquino says no harm in talking to Taiwan about a fishing pact
- Obama reaffirms duty to sell arms
- Phils bans imports of 15 foods due to chemicals, not shooting incident.
- The fight over Wang Yung-ching's massive estate continues
- Chinese hackers penetrated computers of Obama, McCain campaigns:
"In one instance, Chinese officials approached Sen. McCain's campaign to criticize his support for a planned Taiwanese military expansion. Staffers were left puzzled because the Republican Senator had drafted a letter expressing his commitment to the newly elected president of Taiwan, Ma Ying-jeou, in July 2008 but the letter had not yet been sent.”
- Jeffrey Koo, who testified that he bribed Chen Shui-bian, sentenced to nine years on appeal
- Taiwan homes in on free trade pacts
- US ignores island conflicts at its peril
- South China Sea problems risk wider clashes
- Two charged in train, office bombings.
- Richard Bush III on Obama/Xi and Taiwan
- Philippines confronting Big China and Little China
- Is TPP a tool to contain China?
- 1949 intel document shows how US knew Taiwanese didn't want to part of ROC and US did not consider Taiwan part of ROC.
- Gordon Chang in LA Times arguing, as I have for ages, that Mil-Mil relations between Beijing and Washington will not relieve tensions.
- China Brief on Taiwan Military Reform
- Japan in the US "pivot" from Project 2049
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!