The mythopoetics of Taiwanese mob behavior: I wrote a while back on Chen Shui-bian's role as communal scapegoat. Disqualified Taekwondo athelete Yang Shu-chun, young, female, virginal, has been cast in a similar play, but her role is the opposite of Chen's. She's the Sinless One, the Virtuous Accused, who by her sacrifice of innocence takes onto herself all the manifold instances of Taiwanese sports cheating, and washes that stain away.
What's being judged on the blogs this week?
- Frozen Garlic echoes opinion of many others on KMT Taipei rally: it was a dud. Also on Chu rally in Xinbei: ok
- Ben on the shiny new Taichung Municipal Hall
- Taiwan Airpower on a new Japanese era airdrome he found near Hsinchu
- Sinocentric on how people talk about themselves as Han in Taiwan
- Laowiseass starts new job, has new insights.
- Baekdu volcano about to erupt? Could cause serious problems for the region.
- The Furor over Yang: Frozen Garlic is disgusted.
- DPP beats KMT in social media use
- Frozen Garlic with a great post on the DPP evolution in Taichung
- The China Beat on US fear of China, with tons of links and analysis
- China causes another Taiwan athlete to lose. Sigh.
- War clouds over Taiwan -- J Michael's excellent piece
- A collection of articles on Japan's mulling sending troops to Yoniguni Island
- The well-known Korea blog The Marmot's Hole on the Yang disqualification. Koreans are very puzzled by this.
- Bias in media watchdog group
- China Brief: Implications of China's Jialong submersible
- China Steel and Chinese steel company to team up for ore exploration
- CS Monitor: China's opposition to Liu Nobel has simply brought it more recognition
- Science education in Taiwan turning students off to science.
- Taiwan dollar rising faster than Yuan. This is scaring exporters.
- Taichung is going to build this weird tower?
- Taiwan grows 9.8% in third quarter.
- US escalates again in Afghanistan. O my poor country!
- Compare this weird AP article on the KMT rally in Taipei with this Taipei Times piece. Note that rally was a dud in reality [commenter below says it wasn't]. I wish AP would stop using the KMT code-phrase "sluggish economy" -- it smacks of bias. Not to mention that it is total nonsense.
- Foreigners still find Taiwan an accepting place
- YANG SHU CHUN DISQUALIFICATION: Loon eggs korean school in Taiwan. Special Envoy Ovid Tseng sent to Guangzhou to help Yang. ATU to probe Yang disqualification at Taiwan's request. President Ma sensibly points out that the incident did not involve the South Korean government and people. ADDED: WTF Sec-Gen has been accused of corruption in connection with the Olympics a couple of years ago.
- Hitler = WTF Sec-Gen on the Yang Shu-chun disqualification
- Su Chia-chun ad for Taichung
- Face of Taiwan -- welcoming the world
- Work with data? Need easy to use mapping tool? Try OpenHeatMap
- Methane is the hidden time bomb that will kill virtually all life on earth if we don't get down to zero carbon right away.
- An excellent piece on The Aging Boom sweeping the world: "But with its stringent one-child policy and exceptionally low birth rate, China is rapidly evolving into what demographers call a "4-2-1" society, in which one child becomes responsible for supporting two parents and four grandparents."
Charity Paintball Tournament in Taichung for Taichung Animal Protection Association
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums! Delenda est, baby.