Thursday, July 30, 2009

A few of my favorite things....

Since I am taking a few days off from biking, I decided to go hiking. I know you've been missing spider pics while I've been gallivanting around on my Giant bike, so I shot a few miniature monsters for your enjoyment today, along with this lovely panorama above, of northern Taichung on a clear day.

These webs are common in open grassy areas, but I have never seen the spider that builds them.

Saw quite a few of these today, in all sizes and both sexes.

I love my digital telephoto -- in the inset shot you can see the tiny black dot on the leaf. That is the beetle discarded cicada exoskeleton in the picture, so you can get an idea of how far away I am.

Caught this dragonfly resting.

This is a common spider, but I don't know its name.

Mimicry -- it looks just like dead leaf matter.

Plenty of butterflies flitting about, but only this shot came out.

The crowning shot of the day: deep in the woods, I spotted this Golden Orb Spider the size of my hand dining on a giant cicada.

_______________________
Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The beetle in the photo looked like a dried cicada shell.

me said...

That spider looks like a golden orb weaver. When I lived in Florida we had some by our house. Very pretty and beautiful webs as well.