So I've blown away the claim that the Kenya Deportations were aimed at Tsai Ing-wen, constructed an alternative and better fitting geopolitical scenario for the PRC's resumption of ties with Gambia, and already debunked the claim that tourists from China are falling. We will continue to hear this amusing ZOMG TSAI! narrative in the media, though...
Speaking of tourists, the April numbers are out. Let's look at the massive cuts in tourism that China imposed on Taiwan as "punishment" for Tsai Ing-wen...
MARCH: China: 363,878 up 30.09% year on yearYeah, that's right. Tourism from China rose slightly in April. Can't wait to see the May numbers.
APRIL: China: 375,567 up 4.67% year on year
The dip took place in the Hong Kong/Macao numbers, for reasons I do not know:
APRIL: 110,716Remember that quote from the Reuters piece I looked at:
"The National Tourism Administration told us in February and March to cut the number of tourists we send to Taiwan," an agent in the coastal city of Xiamen, which lies across the strait from Taiwan, told Reuters.Obviously, being told to do something, and actually doing it, are two different things.
- New Bloom on the challenges facing Tsai
- Rebar Chairman and fugitive Wang You-theng killed in car crash.
- TISR: Taiwanese don't want unification.
- Solidarity looks at Taiwanese pessimism in the recent poll.
- KMT attacks on my legislator for not being educated enough rebutted.
- Hiking the Pingxi crags
- Straits Times: Taiwan plans people centric drive to wean itself off China
- Taiwan dollar to get clobbered?
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!