Typhoon Morakat has absolutely devastated the southern part of Taiwan with torrential rain and floods.
David on Formosa has description, pics, and links. Taimaili in Taitung, south of Taitung city, had both its rail line and highway link washed away. David says that you should follow @taiwanfloods or search hashtag #taiwanfloods for latest news from southern Taiwan. It's all in Chinese though.
Taipei Times reports:
At 9pm yesterday, Pingtung County’s Wei Liao Mountain (尾寮山) topped the nation with 2,051mm of rainfall since Thursday, the CWB said. Other areas in the county such as Chiatung (佳冬) and Wen-feng (塭豐) saw floods that reached two stories deep.The Taipei Times also published this awesome photo of water being released from Shihmen Reservoir after there were fears early last week of water rationing.
TV footage showed torrential downpours had submerged houses and streets in the county, cutting off electricity and phone services.
“The flood started this morning and the water is more than two stories high in most places,” said a policeman from Chiatung Township, one of the worst-hit areas in Pingtung. It is home to 10,000 people
Report on Taimali damage (Youtube, Chinese). Photos of it here.
Hotel Collapse in Chihben, Taitung. News reports say over 100 were trapped inside. UDN link. The mess in Pingtung, with video in Chinese. The Pingtung County government is putting out a desperate call for boats and rubber rafts.
More links as I get 'em. Commentary on the underlying political causes -- the lack of will to shut down illegal groundwater pumping, the diversion of tax dollars to Taipei, so that Pingtung and Taitung are starved to pay for the capital's plush lifestyle, the corruption in public construction funding, illegal gravel digging, cronyism -- will come later. High time the government went after the real crooks in Taiwan.
1. Bloomberg report: almost a million evacuated in southern China, tens of thousands without power in Taiwan.
2. Friend wrote to say that her parents' town of Donggang is now accessible only by boat.
3. Video of Situation in Jiasian (甲仙) Kaohsiung county.
4. Rainfall map of central Taiwan for last 1,3, and 6 hours, respectively. Rain appears to have moved out of southern Taiwan. Same map for the south. Updated every hour. Courtesy of my man A-gu.
5. Video Shot from the HSR on the Tainan-Chiayi run.
6. AFP on the worst flooding in 50 years. Wholesale vegetable prices jumped 50% yesterday in anticipation of Morakot's assault on our agriculture.
7. The CNN video site has 3 minutes of video.
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!