Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Daily Links, August 8, 2006

  • Doubting to Shuo asks how A菜 got its name.
  • Senorita's Restaurant Review. Just pick any post with info and pics.All delicious.
  • Jerome Keating writes on The Tina Chou Case, the KMT's Colonial Mentality and Taiwan's Malaise
  • Pinyin info, who always posts great stuff, has a rollicking good time with bad Chinese in a movie trailer.

  • +++++++++++


    Finally got around to updating my blogroll today. I still have to remove a passel of dead blogs and add a few more.... but added:

    Life In Taiwan. La Vie Au Taiwan
    http://jiancanada.blogspot.com/

    Taiwan
    http://mylifepics.blogspot.com/

    Tim in Taiwan
    http://taiwantim.blogspot.com/

    Here in Taiwan
    http://hereintaiwan.blogspot.com/

    initechnology.com
    http://initechnology.com/?p=9

    Also added this blog of a US consular official in Taiwan, just fresh from a stint in my other favorite country, India. I met him the other day and can vouch: he's knowledgeable, observant, acutely intelligent, and a pleasure to talk to.
    I arrived in Taiwan two months ago today. Just like in Chennai, I'm doing a two-year tour here as a consular officer. And just like Chennai, it is a very high volume post. I thought long and hard about that when I bid for this position. By the time I’m done here, I will have spent my first four years in the Foreign Service doing primarily visa work, and I'm not even consular-coned. In the end, I decided that the most important thing was to get back into a Chinese-speaking society. Three years of law school and two years in India have all taken a toll, particularly in reading comprehension. But my ability to express myself has suffered as well. Spicygirl and I have always spoken mostly Chinese at home, however it’s of the mundane variety. Maybe I’m looking at the past through rose-colored lenses, but about ten years ago I seem to recall being able to engage in a much more sophisticated level of discourse. When I last lived in Taiwan back in 1993, dreamed primarily in Chinese. As someone who has always loved this language for its own inherent beauty, that was a great place to be.

    Personal note: El Spencer, if you see this, my link to your blog isn't working...can you send me the new one?

    ANYONE: Also, is my feed broken?

    6 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Yes, your feed has been borked for weeks.

    MJ Klein said...

    Michael, your RSS feed has been working for me just fine. I use Thunderbird, fyi.

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Michael, Thanks for putting my small website on your blogroll (initechnology), but really, it is only a shell at the moment. I am still fiddling with the wordpress code and haven't posted much content yet. I have some good ideas for that, especially many good photos of old taipei, taiwan, maps, etc. things which i have been collecting over the past few years. Perhaps you can delete my link for a a couple of weeks until i can get some more content posted?
    p.s. Your soy sauce story was a good read, likewise your recent Taipei Times article on Chen not stepping down.

    Michael Turton said...

    No way, Marc. I'm keeping that link there just to put pressure on you. :)

    OK, give me a couple of days, I'll take it down. Can't wait to see all the old stuff, though.

    Michael

    Prince Roy said...

    Michael,

    thanks for the shout-out and we look forward to seeing you in Taichung before too long...

    Taiwanonymous said...

    Looking forward to the daily links. My blog is probably among the dead, but after a couple months without a computer to post from, I finally have a new computer now, so I will try to revive the blog. You know you should post more often when people who have "given up blogging" post more often than you.
    Great post on the soy sauce factory. Even further off the subject, if you know of any factories that have tours open to the public, I'd love to hear.