Too lazy to blog, too rainy to ride. I think I'll just go sink some battleships in World of Warships. Meanwhile, enjoy some links...
- DON'T MISS: The Pinquanhui: an extraordinary 1999 post on a KKK-style anti-aborigine organization by one of the sharpest and most informed observers of Taiwan politics I know.
- KMTitanic: President Ma Ying-jeou and Vice President Wu Den-yi to stump for KMT candidate Hung Hsiu-chu. This is because she wasn't unpopular enough on her own.
- KMTitanic: KMT forms "youth" group to promote Hung... of people born in 1970s and 80s. Probably because no one under 25 is going to vote for her.
- KMTitanic: Hung isn't getting any cash from businessmen and may not make the threshold for government funding. LOL.
- Hung claims Senkakus belong to Taiwan. It's pretty clear she plans to continue Ma's policy of irritating relations with needed neighbors. Ma's use of the comfort women issue is of a piece; the KMT also uses that to attempt to separate Taiwanese from Japan. Good luck with that...
- SCMP says Soong is just a spoiler
- China Times says that old and young generation should cooperate on "Chinese reunification." LOL.
- Great Taipei Times feature on foreign labor
- If you haven't read it, again here's Solidarity's excellent piece on the curriculum protests.
- Goni has been promoted to typhoon Goni, but still too early to tell whether she'll dump on us.
- NT dollar hits six year low against US dollar.
- Japanese cigarette firm builds factory in Tainan industrial park. Somehow -- shocked, I tell you, I'm shocked -- it slips past all the regulators.
- Taiwan scammers forced me to make scam phone calls. really!
- With so many local governments in deep financial trouble, the Executive Yuan drops proposal to raise salaries for government workers. Nearly half local government budgets go to personnel costs.
- Ko off to Shanghai. Responds to usual China bombast by saying Taiwan and China are family.
- Musings on the curriculum protests, in a Chinese lit framework
- Taiwan's Navy feels pressure as China rises
- IMAGERY: Don't miss the new collection of images from the 1914 Japanese War against the Truku at the East Asia Image Collection
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!