- BBC: Betel nut, scourge of Asia
- Ian Rowen's retrospective: sunflowers at a year
- Cole: China's secret plan to subvert Taiwan
- At WantWant, glorious Onion-style headlines: "Taiwan has lost direction, says professor in meandering ramble".
- White Wolf's Interest in Labor raises eyebrows
- The theatre is coming. First a petition signed by several dozen KMT legislators pleading with Eric Chu, the Chairman, to run for president, then calls for an extraordinary conference. Can't wait: the tears, the joy, the brothers all hugging each other.
- Ex Taoyuan official gets 19 years for affordable housing scandal.
- Greatest tsunami risk lies in Taiwan, according to insurance risk assessor.
- Second World Congress of Taiwan Studies at SOAS. Someday I'll have the time and money to go...
- What happens when China floods the world with cheap weapons?
Presentation Saturday March 28, 10 am
Topic: New book coming out challenging why the Taiwan Miracle is not the result of the KMT, but rather due more to Small and Medium Taiwan businesses and the Japanese infrastructure
that was already on the island
Speaker: Dr. Frank Hsieh, Economist of the University of Colorado and co-author of the book..
The venue is the same as it has traditionally been. Time is 10 am
The meeting location is the restaurant 婷婷翠玉 at 174 AnHe Road, Section Two. (rough translation of name is Tender, Pretty Green Jade.) You will be able to tell the restaurant by the lace curtains on the window--it was used in a TV commercial a while back. (We will have the downstairs room--breakfast cost will range between NT$100 and NT$150. Everyone buys their own) Phone if lost 2736-8510.
Restaurant is between Far Eastern Plaza Mall/Hotel and HePing East Road--about a half a block north of the corner of HePing East Road Sec. 3 and AnHe Road. or a half a block south of Far Eastern Plaza on the AnHe Road side.
Take the MRT Mucha (Brown) Line to the Liuchangli Station exit there, and walk west on HePing East Road 3/4 of a block till you reach where AnHe Road dead-ends into it.Then go north on AnHe Road; it is a half a block up on the west side of that street.
Or take any bus down HePing East Road and get off at the first stop that is east of Tun Hua South Road. That will put you at the corner of HePing and AnHe.
You can also take a bus down Tun Hua South Road to the stop right across from Far Eastern Plaza and walk over to AnHe Road.
Or if you take the 235 bus east, it turns off of HePing onto AnHe Road and the first stop is right across from the restaurant.
Give me a heads up if you are coming jkeating AT ms67.hinet.net
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!