What could be better than a month that opens with a trip to Lanyu and closes with a visit to Laochijia? Now it is time to catch up...
- Quint Magazine on locally based expat film maker Tobie Openshaw
- Industrial sector output rises in 2014
- CKS statues vandalized for 2-28 here and here. KMT legislator Alex Tsai, who ran Sean Lien's campaign, said that Chiang was necessary to save Taiwan from the PRC (historical nonsense; it was US policy, not Chiang, that kept China out of Taiwan) and that people fake tears on 2-28. Now you know why Sean Lien was crushed by an outsider with no political experience.
- Great thumbnail of the 2-28 massacre. Outreach also has a 10 fact piece that's good.
- Shih Ming-te, perennial pan-Blue stalking horse, once again forwards a pan-Blue plan to confuse voters and waste their time and energy with a faux democracy proposal and an NGO to go with it (gotta make a living somehow, I guess). This one is negative voting, in which candidates could vote against the candidate of their choice. He even suggested that negative votes would result in reduced subsidies for candidates -- which surprise surprise would hurt the party with less money more -- the DPP, of course. It would also benefit the party with better voter discipline which can control its voter ratios, once again, not the DPP. Shih has been working for the KMT for roughly 15 years now. What a terrible parody of a democracy thinker he has become...
- Thinking Taiwan's latest Taiwan Insider
- Xinhua old street (pics too!)
- DPP's third party strategy indicates confidence it can win the legislature
- Frozen Garlic writes on Ma and the KMT party image.
- Bonnie Glaser with a CSIS report: Marginalizing Taiwan harms international security (original report)
- LTH's great speech at Thinking Taiwan on Taiwan's Youth.
- Remember how Ma said we must have the trade pacts with China because South Korea OMG? Yeah, right.
- Fifth column threat overblown? Check out the comments from the retired officer on Ma Ying-jeou!
- Tainan considering removing CKS statues
- In case you haven't seen it, Beyond Beauty. There was a quickly passing environmental flap after the film made rounds a while backin 2013.
- David on Formosa celebrates 10 years of blogging
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!