Thursday, March 12, 2015

Drawn to scale

I imaged this critter waddling slowly across this leaf, but had no idea what it was. Fortunately, a friend on Facebook was able to tell me what sort of creature it was...
Assuming I guessed right and it's related to an Iceryine Scale, I found this by googling the name:

"Those are not legs surrounding the body of these odd insects but a fringe of waxy “fingers” secreted by special glands on the body of the female.

Like many scale insects (along with aphids, psyllids and mealybugs), they produce and excrete a sticky honeydew which ants feed upon and who, in return, provide a fairly formidable protection service.
Learn something new every day...
_______________________
Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!

No comments: