UPDATE: I just heard that Longtime scholar Alan Wachman passed this week, losing his battle with pancreatic cancer. From the announcement:
In lieu of flowers, Alan’s family asks that donations be made to a fund that has been started at Tufts to honor Alan’s work and legacy. The information is as follows:
The Professor Alan M. Wachman Memorial Fund
The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
160 Packard Avenue
Medford, MA 02155.
- Taiwan activists to rock Rio.
- Court overturns ECFA referendum ruling. Remember when pro-Taiwan forces demanded a public referendum on ECFA and the Central Election Commission said nuh-uh three times? Those rulings have been overturned. Too late, of course.
- High Court finds two more alleged DPP embezzlers not guilty. This is after an appeal, so the prosecutors have struck out twice.
- Export orders fall in May.
- Drew with great commentary on the CNN-GO Sun Moon Lake Cycling piece, and great links.
- The Keelung Incident, in which Japanese authorities in Taiwan charged foreigners with espionage. Execllent work, Pat!
EVENTS: Mark your calendars!
Taiwan Birdathon 2012.
Taiwan is holding a 30-hour Birdathon event on November 24-25th 2012 (8:30 am - 2:30 pm).
It will be held in the southern counties of Yunlin, Chaiyi, and Tainan - home to great birding sites such as Alishan, Yushan National Park, Huben, Beimen Wetlands, Aogu Wetlands, and Qigu Reserve. A wide range of shore and forest birds can be expected - including many endemics and wintering specialties.
This will be a fun event suitable for bird watchers of all abilities. Teams, each consisting of 3-4 members, aim to spot as many bird species as possible in the 30 hour period. There may be other less competitive 'targets'. Foreign teams are especially welcome - accommodation and food will be paid for on the 23-25th, and can be paired up with local guides if necessary. No registration fee required.
Organized by the Taiwan Ecotourism Association. Sponsored by Taiwan Tourism Bureau, the SW Coast National Scenic Area Administration, Alishan NSA, and Siraya NSA.
For more details see the official website at http://www.taiwanbirdathon.org (English version still under construction at time of writing) or the blog post at http://birdingtaiwan.blogspot.tw/2012/06/taiwan-birdathon.html
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums! Delenda est, baby.