My son wrote this on FB today: "Just got called by gangsters based in China, trying to scam me into giving them cash. I answered in English, "Hello?" and the tape recording stopped abruptly and I could hear a lady in the background distinctly say "American" in Chinese and hang up. Best way to get rid of those phone scammers is answer in English lulz."
Meanwhile, what's the inside story on the blogs today?
- Claudia Jean with an awesome, detailed post on Frank Hsieh. Not to be missed.
- Drew on a cycling article in a local magazine
- The African-Chinese guy visits Yilan.
- Kaminoge on the ROC scarf.
- Ben on Ma's revelation that the DPP is not part of the ROC.
- FOARP finds a poem about Taiwan identity.
- Fireproof Moth: a missionary in Taiwan's White Terror
- Taiwan Born American on her recent interview by the amazing Ho Chie Tsai for Taiwanese-American.org
- USTDC: Grass Mountain ground surveys in 1958
- Lao Ren Cha on public space in Taipei
- Catching Largemouth Bass in Longtan.
- Big in Asia with Five Books Moses never read
- Municipalities: rural residents of the new cities are worried urban areas will take more resources.The new cities hold 60% of the nation's population. Less democracy as new chiefs will be appointed by mayors and thousands of local councilmen will be out of work. More headaches for civil servants in adjusting to the new territories. Greater debts for the smaller governments. More debt discussion. Megacities face finance issues.
- China will shift focus and talk about/to DPP more in 2011 to help Ma in 2012.
- Using the Senkakus to sneak into Taiwan during the martial law period
- First new Orion anti-sub aircraft to come online in 2011. Yay!
- Can the US still protect Taiwan?
- A more assertive PLA.
- Taiwan modernizes its spec ops
- Yilan county passes resolution blocking entry of CCP officials suspected of crimes against humanity.
- Factories orders jump in US, good news for Taiwan.
- China erodes Taiwan's press freedom
- Taiwan should consider capital controls.
- The Liberty Times report on Ma's entirely true words on pandas and black bears was detestable. If only the president would follow up with meaningful investment in black bear conservation instead of helping China.
- Taiwan bank, Bank of China sign MOU.
JOB: A friend of a friend wants some one on one English tutoring in Taipei. Contact Michael J Klein at thenhbushmanATgmail.com Sorry, that is all the information I have.
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums! Delenda est, baby.