Apologies in advance -- I left a long post below this one because it is likely I won't be posting for the remainder of this week. Please be patient with comments since I won't get around to them for a couple of days. In the meantime I'll leave you with plenty of links to explore below this one.....
- Drew does 91 miles in Miaoli and Taichung
- A DPP political ad that is based on Hong Kong runs in Taiwan.
- Paul Katz looks at Hsiaolin one year after the disaster
- Dear Premier Wu, please stop calling people "idiot"
- Sponge Bear on Chunghsing Village
- Big in Asia takes lovely pics.
- Nascent Liner Notes goes back to Sanjih
- In Taiwan, you will need these winning strategies for rock paper scissors.
- Snarky Tofu leaves Taiwan.
- The 9/21 Earthquake museum, one of the best local museums on the island.
- F Varga hosts a great TT cartoon
- Wandering Taiwan with great pics of one of Taiwan's most eerie terrains, the salt flats of Beimen.
- Fili on the Fulong sand sculture festival
- AsiaEye with little noticed news links
- Save the Dolphins on the police and protesters
- Researcher wants to interview people about the Cold War days in Taiwan
- My Kafkaesque life with an exuberant post on Taipei that made even a confirmed Taipei-hater like me reconsider.
- The legislature is going to hold an extraordinary session on ECFA. KMT news says that DPP and KMT views of how to approve the treaty clash.
- Yang Chiu-hsing's independent run in Kaohsiung is the subject of an informative editorial from the Taiwan News. Procedural unfairness? "Actually, the DPP headquarters accommodated Yang's demands by postponing the public polling from the original time frame of late March to early May to give the Kaohsiung County mayor more campaigning time." Meanwhile Yang is off to Singapore to learn how to make Kaohsiung more like that city. Potential turncoat Hsu Tain-tsair didn't make an expected announcement of an independent run in Tainan.
- Watch China's coasts, not its currency.
- As compensation talks break down, residents threaten blockade of Formosa naptha cracker
- Oral cancer quadruples in 40 years thanks to betel nut
- Despite the passage of 65 years, there are no memorials to Taiwanese servicemen in the Japanese Army in Taiwan
- Number of households in poverty hits record high
- Falun Gong sues Chinese official in Taiwan court.
- There's a shootout in an upscale shopping district in Taichung.
- After reaching 32 year high, growth falls in the second quarter
- Commonwealth with two pieces on petrochemicals in Taiwan, An End to the Era of the Wolf, and Can Taiwan live with Petrochemicals?
- Chinese students invade Taiwan islands
- US also putting finger into Mekong dam issues
Also, if you know of any films about Hsinchu County, or made by Hsinchu County filmmakers, please let me know.Send me an email, please.
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!