SPECIAL: China stages huge naval drill. Vietnam is holding drills in the South China Sea. Very scary.
- Letters from Taiwan rips CNN over the Indo-Pacific Dolphin
- Abdicating sovereignty one step at a time, from J Michael
- Sponge Bear What If: Taiwan were a Commonwealth of Japan
- Barking Deer's Top Taroko Gorge Hikes.
- Vietnamese want to rename the South China Sea.
- Drew on our great ride this weekend.
- Preventing an Asia-Pacific arms race. Good luck with that one.
- Fili on the Shilin Night Market.
- US State Department annexes Taiwan to China? Or just Matsu and Kinmen? I don't think anyone would argue that those two islands don't belong to Taiwan and are part of China.
- Lief responds to my comments about Master Hsing Yun.
- Huge bust of scammers from across Asia.
- Haha. Changhua schools make students suffer on bikes.
- More on the Taiwanese fishing captain killed by the US navy.
- The China Beat with an excerpt from Why Taiwan Matters, Shelley Rigger's new book.
- How to plant and grow rice in Taiwan.
- A Pinoy hikes Taiwan's mountains.
- A Chinese scholar at Brookings on cross-strait relations; not particularly insightful.
- Taiwan bans German sprouts as E coli deaths continue to rise. Scary.
- KMT, DPP at loggerheads over nukes, exports to China.
- Indonesia deports 101 Taiwan fraud suspects. A good start.
- Taiwan to be feature destination for the ABC show The Bachelorette.
- The AIG unit sale receives conditional approval.
- This week Taiwan finally makes bribe-paying illegal. Yes, that's right, for all this time it was not illegal to give a bribe, only to receive one.
- Foreigners can claim money in the receipt lottery.
- WantChinaTimes says Taiwan's real China problem is its declining market share there.
- Yes, the independent travelers from China are coming. Good. From what I read on blogs and news articles, independent Chinese travelers in Taiwan generally have a great time and learn to love the place.
- Kinmen now the focus of casino building, since the Penghu rejected it.
- China Times argues talent may constrain local growth.
- Prosecutors call for 25 years for tainted food scandal suspect. Such a long prison term, in light of the many problems with fertilizers and other chemicals in the food supply, smack of scapegoating.
- As tension escalates in the South China Sea, the Defense Ministry has formed a monitoring group to watch the area. Recall that Taiwan has a large air base in the area.
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums! Delenda est, baby.