- The Tainan Meteorological Station
- Islaformosa on nurturing Kinmen's trees
- The Foreigner on Formosan Food
- U2 pilot Terry Liu's ten missions
- Patrick Cowsill on the history of Madou
- Want to buy land in Taiwan? Check out investorblogger.
- Lovely pics and story from Michella at Alishan
- Sacrificial pigs, god pics and festivals from Lief.
- Ben on the "two nations" gaffe.
SPECIAL ANALYSIS: Shirley Kan with a Congressional Research Service report entitled: Taiwan: Major US Arms Sales since 1990. Kan's article is a rebuttal to the yammerheads who argued during the Chen Administration that Taiwan wasn't interested in its own defense. For example:
In 2007 alone, Taiwan ranked 6th among worldwide recipients, receiving $790 million in U.S. defense articles and services. Values for U.S. agreements with and deliveries to Taiwan are summarized below.1There's some excellent information on President Ma's behavior that can only add fuel to the debates over whether Ma is merely incompetent, or slyly preventing Taiwan from acquiring needed weapons.
2000-2003 period 2004-2007 period
U.S. Agreements $970 million $1.2 billion
U.S. Deliveries $4.0 billion $4.3 billion
From worldwide sources, including the United States, Taiwan received arms deliveries valued at $7.7 billion in the eight-year period from 2001 to 2008. Taiwan ranked 7th among leading arms recipients that are developing countries.
AWESOME BLAST FROM THE PAST: Anthropologist Ryūzō Torii's photos of Formosa aborigines from the late 19th century.
RIP: Johnny Neihu's last column was this month. Many thanks for all you did, my man -- you were a source of useful information, a friend, and an inspiration.
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!