The sturdy mag Commonwealth has a piece in Chinese on China tourism in Taiwan. It observes that Chinese tourists are actually up in the first six months of 2016, something which I had not bothered to check...
Jan 15 321,458
Feb 15 406,239
Mar 15 279,703
Apr 15 358,798
May 15 372,766
Jun 15 308,087
Jan 16 366,409
Feb 16 405,307
Mar 16 363,878
Apr 16 375,567
May 16 327,254
Jun 16 271,478
Adding the numbers from Jul...
Jul 15 352,625
Jul 16 299,642
First 7 months of 2015: 2,399,676
First 7 months of 2016: 2,409,535
Tourists from China up slightly still. No great slash appearing in the numbers... but you know what the pundits will say!
- Ralph Jennings has two awful pieces in Forbes this week, one error-ridden piece on the Tsai Administration, another a trollish listicle in which Ralph discovers that China is better than Taiwan because it is more Chinese and then in point 3 goes on to praise the Chengguan of China.
- Taiwan and the Catholic Church from CPI. Good stuff...
- I must be getting suspicious and paranoid in my old age. In the midst of a government push to give Taiwan a makeover as a good place for expats to live, suddenly a survey pops up showing Taiwan is the number 1 place for expats to live. Not that I disagree, but my experience with the epistemology of coincidence tells me something is decaying near Copenhagen...
- Asia Sentinel piece on the KMT assets quotes John Copper, the longtime pro-KMT "scholar", ranting about the English language world which overwhelmingly supports a democratic and independent Taiwan -- and hilariously claiming they are paid by the DPP to do so. What a sad waste...
- A Washington-based pro-KMT think tank has a piece in The Diplomat warning of tsunamis, the end of civilization, and global war if Tsai does not adhere to the One China policy of Beijing. Watch out for more from this crowd...
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!