- Eyedoc strikes gold: the first appearance of the language term Hoklo in the West.
- Global Voices on the Student Protests against Next Media
- Far Eastern Sweet Potato shows once again how China manages US policy makers through the deployment of "anger" which is not a visceral reaction, but calculated policy used to manage relations with foreign nations. Taiwanese F-16 pilots had a chance to participate in realistic military exercises with the US, but it was canceled by Washington policymakers because -- you know what is coming next -- China might get angry. ZOMG! Wouldn't it be great if instead we read how Beijing feared Washington's anger? There's a US-Beijing hotline; perhaps DC foreign policy greats can simply call Beijing up and meekly ask permission next time and save the trouble of tiresome efforts like policy meetings or doing boring stuff like reading history or thinking about the effect of our actions on our allies. Will someone pass the canapes please?
- The riverside pottery park of Yingge.
- Iron Goddess Tea, Taiwan
- Trademark law in Taiwan from Winkler Partners
- Takuran Airdrome, in Jhoulan. Excellent post, TAP.
- Far Eastern Sweet Potato on Vietnam deploying special force to the South China Sea.
- ...and also, the Potato observes a widely remarked on event: Palestinians can get UN status. Taiwan? Nada.
- Fagan rides.
- Haha. Ministry of Culture rolls over on Chinese Music Awards Announcement.
- Hey! Don't forget my post below on riding in Pingtung this weekend.
- Taiwan vows to spend $20 million to make....TV shows.
- China nudges up South China Sea tension. With Taiwan quiescent under Ma Ying-jeou, the lack of "tension" in the Strait leaves China free to ramp up tension elsewhere. Ma did not "reduce tension." He merely enabled Beijing to displace it.
- Dennis Engbarth's excellent piece in the Asia Times on the Next Media deal.
- Yes. D'oh. The claim to Okinawa is connected to the Senkakus.
- Bus disasters: yesterday a bus backed off the road into a ravine in Hsinchu on the way to Smangus. 13 dead. Today one wrecked on Alishan, 16 injured.
- Costs of Taiwan's early warning radar skyrocket.
- SANITY BREAK: Dave 2X's bird photos, many from Taiwan.
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums! Delenda est, baby.