Links for this week.... enjoy!
- Drew recounts our awesome ride up Alishan on Day 2. Really wish you could have come along.
- Jenna visits a drag show.
- Under the Radar News from AsiaEye
- Craig Ferguson's December calendar
- Letters from Taiwan on the MoE's attempt to pressure students not to protest
- Traveling Taiwan goes to Ershui. Not a bad little town.
- Richard on hiking outside Taipei: don't litter and other pleas...
- Filipino worker in dispute about pay forcibly deported?
- Hozan Airdrome. It's such a crime that nothing is left of the old Japanese airfields in southern Taiwan.
- Memorial vandalized in Keelung
- Two relics from the Taiwan Bronze Age and Placing Taiwan on megalith map
- Taiwan as laboratory for currency imperialism under the Japanese. Details please!
- MoE EMAIL ABOUT STUDENT PROTESTERS: Student leader interviewed, Academics protest. Hilariously, the Minister of Education denies he ever meant to intimidate students, blames staffers, said he is hurt.
- High speed ferry route between Taiwan and Fujian to open next month.
- China Post profiles the awesome Richard Saunders. Go Richard!
- Taichung city is getting a penguin exhibit. The idea is that those flows of Chinese tourists getting off in Taichung harbor will linger in the city, rather than heading for Sun Moon Lake and other places, thus dropping tourist dollars here in The Chung. Yes, you read that correctly. Penguins.
- IPS' Dennis Engbarth on the Next Media buyout
- Illegal Chinese fishing in Korean waters, bogus Beijing claims to Korean islands. Where have we heard this before.
- Chinese managers announce music awards will take place in Taipei without consulting anyone, cause furor
- Taiwan plans smart mines for use against invading Chinese
- Taipei Times on indictments of Chaiyi, Nantou county commissioners.
- Fallows on the crazed announcement by Hainan authorities that China might board vessels in the South China Sea.
- Beijing signals harder line on Hong Kong. Taiwan's democracy must vex them no end.
- Locals protest waste in Hsinchu River
- Taiwan engineers find solution for weakness in flash memory.
- Taiwan donates for infrastructure construction in St Lucia.
- Longtime Beijing correspondent John Pomfret's review of an important new book on China's modern history.
BOOKS: Check out Taffy Canning's Moving to Taiwan guide!
firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information can be found on the website at www.amchamtaichung.org.
Also, don't forget....
- Call for Papers, European Assoc of Taiwan Studies.
- US-Taiwan Forum on Sustainable Cities and Ports, Dec 10-12.
- Wilson Center on Taiwan's Economy Dec 13.
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums! Delenda est, baby.