++++++++++++++Smart Power and Taiwan on the International Stage
19 March 2010
Royal United Services Institute
At a time when an increasingly assertive China is wielding its new-found power on the international stage, a considerable improvement in cross-strait relations has enabled Taiwan to move beyond the narrow focus of national recognition towards a broader spectrum of engagement on the world stage.
Taiwan’s leaders now hope to widen international space for manoeuvre whilst avoiding disruption of the current rapprochement with China. This conference will seek to ascertain what ‘smart power’ options are available to Taiwan and European perspectives towards this end.
With a keynote address from Dr. Lyushun Shen, Taiwan’s Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs the conference will consider the following themes:
* Foreign Aid: European and Taiwanese ExperiencesIn addition to a team of experts from Taiwan, panellists will include:
* Taiwan's International Participation: Practical Needs and Political Dimensions.
* Smart Power: Options for Taiwan and Europe
* Professor Malcolm Chalmers, RUSI Professorial Fellow
* Dr Steve Tsang, Oxford University
For more information and to register please visit www.rusi.org/taiwanconference
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!