Apparently some Taiwanese did, and are now quarantined in Hong Kong, thanks to a
The Taiwanese government was trying to track 19 people who had travelled on the same flight from Mexico to Shanghai as a Mexican man later confirmed to be suffering from swine flu.Taiwan has also developed a new test kit for the disease:
The 19 were among 25 people who had travelled on to Taiwan from Shanghai on six flights, said Shih Wen-yi, a spokesman for Taiwan's Centres for Disease Control (CDC).
Shih urged the 19 travellers to call a hotline set up by the Taiwan government, for a health check.
The Taiwan government also issued a travel advisory urging its nationals to protect themselves against infection while touring Hong Kong and South Korea, whose first cases of swine flu were confirmed in recent days.
Hong Kong Friday quarantined for seven days 300 guests and staff at a hotel where the Mexican man had stayed after arriving from Shanghai.
The CDC official said 12 of 18 suspected swine flu case in Taiwan have been ruled out, and the rest are still being investigated to see whether they have been infected with the new H1N1 strain of influenza A virus.It's nice teaching at a medical university where everyone has some dim idea that the threat, at present, is low. Of course, if the historical trend of slowing rising virulence is followed.....
Some of the persons suspected of being infected asked to be tested for infection when they arrived at airports from overseas trips, Shih said.
The CDC has developed a test kit that can diagnose within six hours whether someone is infected with the new virus, Shih said.
Meanwhile, the Swine Flu story makes a nice filler for the one million 24/7 news channels clamoring for eyeballs in Taiwan, and a good distraction from the fact that the Taiwan side was owned by the CCP in the recent talks in Nanjing.
- Oz Taiwan scholar Bruce Jacobs on Taiwan into the WHA
- Swine flu and the world economy from the Council on Foreign Relations
- Remember when Taiwanese consumer organizations said MS Vista sucked and they wanted the option to install reliable and well-understood XP? And they were treated like children? Turns out Microsoft is rushing out the next Windoze, Version 7, because, basically, Vista sucked. Taiwan rulz.
- China's "commercial" port in Sri Lanka (h/t reeb)
- Regulations on Chinese investment expected late this month.
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!