No time for blogging, with finals to prepare. Enjoy some links.
- Sworn in as Chairman of the KMT, one of Eric Chu's first acts is firing the Zhongshan Council set up by President and former Chairman Ma Ying-jeou to bypass the Central Standing Committee, and returning to the Central Standing Committee structure. Chu says he'll run things in his own style.
- China's growth misses target, lowest in 24 years. How will this affect Taiwan's economy?
- The illegal structure problem in Taiwan claims the lives of six firefighters in Taoyuan. A common problem in Taiwan...
- Taiwanese shanshu, a mountain vegetable
- New comic book of Taiwan history.
- Taiwan students forced to cover flag at Abu Dhabi race
- Taiwan businesses hijack Japanese trade names, it's no problem.
- Eslite is where the cool people hang, late at night.
- You must be living in a cave if you haven't heard of the planned sex-themed park in Taiwan
- Exiled democracy activist Wang Dan is booted by Tsinghua University in Taiwan after he supported the Sunflowers. Disgraceful. Fortunately grown-ups intervened. Mayor Lai of Tainan invited him to take a position in Tainan.
- Man shot at airport was actually a gangster...
- Former Mormon missionary here in Taiwan leads House Asia panel.
- Below READ MORE, Jerome Keating has a get-together in Taipei on Feb 1. Topic is the existential threat of nuclear weapons.... (Facebook event page)
We had a good visit at the museum and now as I had mentioned earlier we have one more event before the Lunar New Year. Our topic this time is more serious in nature.
We had had a presentation on when the ROC almost joined the nuclear club. Now . . .
Topic: "The Growing Existential Threat of Nuclear Weapons"
Speaker: Dr. Edward Friedman, Professor Emeritus of Technology Management at Stevens Institute of Technology.
In an age when more than super powers have access to nuclear weapons, rogue states and non-state entities with little to lose become a greater danger. Unfortunatrely this is something that is real and not just in Hollywood movies.
This is a topic that Dr. Friedman has long been interested in and one he recently spoke on at Columbia Univ. in NY.
Sunday Feb. 1, 10 am.
The venue is the same as it has traditionally been. Time is 10 am, Sunday Feb. 1.
The meeting location is the restaurant 婷婷翠玉 at 174 AnHe Road, Section Two. (rough translation of name is Tender, Pretty Green Jade.) You will be able to tell the restaurant by the lace curtains on the window--it was used in a TV commercial a while back. (We will have the downstairs room--breakfast cost will range between NT$100 and NT$150. Everyone buys their own) Phone if lost 2736-8510.
Restaurant is between Far Eastern Plaza Mall/Hotel and HePing East Road--about a half a block north of the corner of HePing East Road Sec. 3 and AnHe Road. or a half a block south of Far Eastern Plaza on the AnHe Road side.
Take the MRT Mucha (Brown) Line to the Liuchangli Station exit there, and walk west on HePing East Road 3/4 of a block till you reach where AnHe Road dead-ends into it.Then go north on AnHe Road; it is a half a block up on the west side of that street.
Or take any bus down HePing East Road and get off at the first stop that is east of Tun Hua South Road. That will put you at the corner of HePing and AnHe.
You can also take a bus down Tun Hua South Road to the stop right across from Far Eastern Plaza and walk over to AnHe Road.
Or if you take the 235 bus east, it turns off of HePing onto AnHe Road and the first stop is right across from the restaurant.
I am giving you advance notice since the Lunar New Year is coming etc. Give me a heads up if you are coming.
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!