The Taipei City Government’s Department of Labor Affairs yesterday promised to strengthen inspections on illegal work cases of white-collar foreign workers after a Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City councilor accused a foreign English-language teacher of moonlighting as a male stripper.The yammerhead who got in a pissing contest over a 25 NT towel (for pete's sake) may end up causing trouble for other foreigners. Foreigners need to remember: you might not think you're part of a community, but the Taiwanese will treat you that way.
DPP Taipei City Councilor Hung Chien-yi (洪健益) said the teacher from England registered his workplace in Hsinchu County. However, he was also found working as a male stripper under the stage name Eric in nightclubs in Taipei City.
The teacher’s illegal work status was exposed after he was involved in a dispute with a 27-year-old Taipei resident surnamed Wu (吳) at Taipei Wanhua Sports Center on Sunday, Wu said.
According to Wu, the person shouted at front desk staff at the center who would not let him in because he failed to bring a towel. Wu tried to resolve the situation, but was “almost involved in a physical confrontation” with the foreigner, who threatened to hurt him.
Commentary light this week....
- Taiwan Ballon Museum.
- Oz attempts to join the Double 10 celebrations.
- The famous essay why is chinese so damn hard reappears at last
- A non-mandarin classroom
- Drew with magical pictures from his magical ride to Wujie
- Update on the Taiwan cycling festival.
- China handles Liu Xiabo's Nobel with dignity and maturity. China also steals Russian mil tech and markets it at lower prices. Isn't it time to reconsider the world's engagement with this rapidly metastasizing cancer in the international system?
- Fall colors of tea.
- Oz analyzes China's call for more control over Taiwan's media.
- June Teufel Dreyer rips a couple of American academics for their incompetent analyses of Taiwan's situation. Names you know: Charles Glaser and Michael Swaine (don't miss my comments at the bottom).
- No really, this may well be the dumbest thing to appear about Taiwan since the days it was "Free China." A work of comic genius.
- Speaking of stupid, Huffpost can't get Taiwan right again.
- US arms sales to Taiwan: impact on Sino-US relations
- Michael Chase on why regional calls for US involvement in Asia aren't an encirclement plot.
- Nothing to celebrate for the nation's aborigines.
- Hindustan Times on China's military build up.
- Think tank says Taiwan econ growth may have trouble reaching 4.5% this year.
- Shock: Taiwan having baby boom! Births up 16% in 9 months.
- Trivia question: what was the first country to recognize the ROC?
- AmCham complains that US officials don't visit Taiwan.
WAY COOL: Check out these immigration and emigration maps for Taiwan. Thanks to Aaron over at Red A.
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums! Delenda est, baby.