UPDATE: AP reports 400 missing in Pingtung after landslide buries village. Several pics of the amazing flooding.
Hope you're not too bedraggled after the typhoon this week. Taiwan really took it on the chin. Here and there people still managed to blog, though....
- Demo says we can save Taiwan's creative industries with China there but its money here.
- Brian Dunn looks at small craft operations in the Strait.
- Dave's Landslide blog has a post on the riverbank erosion here during Sinlaku last year. You know, the one where the hotel fell into the river in Nantou? Deja vu.
- David reviews Yang Yang.
- Jerome blogs on art, identity, and Freddy Lim.
- Fili offers a living guide to Tainan.
- J Michael reviews Scott Kastner's new book Trading with the Enemy.
- Taoyuan Nights says Taiwan will tackle the deficit, but not today.
- Last week's links from Todd.
MEDIA: FT asks whether Taiwan's D-Ram companies can raise enough cash to upgrade to 50-nanometer tech? If not, they are in deep trouble. The Australian reports that dollar diplomacy will end in the South Pacific as CCP and KMT strike a deal. China says it won't mess with Taiwan's allies. Right.... . US makes Taiwan part of visa-waiver program for Guam and other Pacific islands. The on-again, off-again negotiations for a US-Taiwan trade pact appear to be on again. Finally: the Taiwan government plans to begin installing rooftop solar units in 2010. Commonwealth magazine argues state capitalism created Taiwan miracle, calls for more. CFR has audio of talk on balancing China and India. Mayor Hau promises cooperation with probes into mess President Ma left when he was mayor of Taipei. More rain expected for next couple of days in wake of typhoon.
[Taiwan] Don't miss the comments below! And check out my blog and its sidebars for events, links to previous posts and picture posts, and scores of links to other Taiwan blogs and forums!