Sunday, April 02, 2006

Tihua Street in Taipei


In addition to our visit to the The Museum of Temporary Art, we also had an excellent time on Tihua Street in Taipei, one of the city's most important historical districts, still full of spice and cloth retailers.


I hadn't been there since 2003, and it was great to see all the old shops still there and selling up a storm. If you haven't been there yet, set aside an afternoon and visit. The nearest metro stops all lie along Chungshan N. Rd., so you have to hop in a taxi for an $80 ride to Tihua Street, or catch a bus. Tell the driver you want to go to the Cloth Market, at the south end, so you can experience walking up the entire street.


Tihua Street is not just a great place to hang out, but bulk spices are available at good prices. I picked up a huge bag of oregano, and two large bottles of cumin seed, for $100 each.


I set up a picture page which I hope to add to next month when I am in Taipei again. Enjoy!

No comments: