Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Removed Haloscan

Some of you may have noticed that my template has changed....

I've removed Haloscan. I've decided I don't like that feature. First, it blocked all my old comments, but never warned me that would occur. Second, although later when I read the forums I discovered that there is a work-around, obviously it should not be necessary -- the work-around should be incorporated into the original HTML code. Third, when I followed the directions for removing it, naturally they were hopeless and while removing it,screwed up all my old Blogger comments. And left a bunch of HTML in the template that wasn't necessary. So I backed up all my tinkering, loaded a new template, and recopied all the links-n-stuff. Not a good experience. But I like the new look, and it looks like my other blog.

3 comments:

Budding Sinologist said...

When I added Haloscan it ate all my old comments (I only had three or four at that point) but more annoyingly it garbled all the Chinese text I wrote. I don't want to blame it on Haloscan for sure because I have no proof, but it was an interesting coincidence that all my Chinese text became #$%^& the same day I added Haloscan to the template. To this day I can't post Hanzi. It was quite annoying and one of my America-based readers said the Chinese characters was one of the things he liked most about my blog (I think he felt it added credibility or something).

MF said...

If someone wants to have both, they can check this out:
How can I use Blogger's comments but keep my old comments on my old posts?

Michael Turton said...

Yeah, MF, I saw that. Except I couldn't get it to work. And like I said, it shouldn't be something that one has to go look up - this is a known problem that everyone experiences and Haloscan does not advise you on -- and the cure should be built into the automatic installation process. I had a lot of great comments that I wanted others to be able to access. So in the end, I gave up Haloscan and went back to Blogger.

Michael