Sunday, July 17, 2005

Chinese and Foreign Food

The Chinese like to say that they eat everything, but of course, they eat only what is served Chinese style. Last year I met a girl who went to France and Italy with her family for a week and ate only instant noodles (although that may have been to save $$). I suspect everyone has similar experiences with people who travel to culinary paradises and then eat only Chinese food. I was just reading Enjoy Life, a blog in English by a local girl, who blogged her trip to Sri Lanka for a couple of days, and was struck by this phenomenon again:
Next day after Chinese lunch, we started our journey to north named, Chillaw.

(same day)
After then we still come back Colombo to have Chinese dinner where is took by Chinese cook from Beijing. The taste is really good and even better than one in Taiwan.

After then we went to have dinner in one of Sri lankan's resturant where provided Chinese-tasty dishes.
Arrgh! We went to Sri Lanka last year, and absolutely worshipped the food, and also stocked up on the cheap spices in the grocery store. What I wouldn't give to have curry at Saman's again:



I will say that the writer's English is excellent and easy to read. She should be proud. I wish my Chinese was 1/10 as good. It looks like she had a great time in Sri Lanka too, a country that I highly recommend, full of friendly people, beautiful scenery, and easygoing traveling.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha. Reminds me a bit of my Taiwanese brother-in-law, who went to Italy for his honeymoon and came back to report that Italian food sucks. "Taiwanese pizza is much better."

Prince Roy said...

Indians are much the same...

Navin said...

Glad you liked Sri Lanka!

Anonymous said...

Try feeding the average American real Chinese food and they'll probably prefer their local takeout place's butchered hot and sour soup, General Tsao's chicken and sweet and sour pork.

Anonymous said...

That is totally true of my mom and stepdad, both Chinese! They took me to Tijuana once, and I remember them searching forever for a Chinese restaurant instead of trying Mexican food. Then we ate there and they had a very repetitive conversation in Mandarin with the owner about how fresh the fish was...